Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Perspective (Fear, part 1)

This past Lenten season, I committed to forgo fear. Each day, I scratched down a few of my thoughts in a journal. Throughout the next few days, I will revisit some of these journal entries. My posts typically sit simmering for many days before they are crafted into a meal and served up here. These next few entries will be raw. But I offer them here in hopes that you will not feel alone in your fear. I pray that together we may die to what once bound us; that we may become like Christ in his death so that we may also join in his resurrection.

March 9, 2011 (Ash Wednesday)

"You are dust, and to dust you shall return. And God loves you anyway." ~ Jonathan Rogers

"I am nothing, but the angels sometimes whisper in my ears." ~ Pierce Pettis

"Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I'll be healed." ~ Jill Phillips

This shell of a body will one day be no more. The world is aging, time passes, things deteriorate. I feel it in my bones. My knee aches. Creation groans. Life is but a breath. I am but a speck no bigger than Horton's. And I am loved.

If so many things are passing, what sticks? What lasts forever? Even faith and hope will serve their purpose and bow out gracefully. Only Love remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment