Thursday, June 13, 2013

Keeping Darkness at Bay


"My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail is a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!"

"There He Lay" by Justin Gerard

Who can fight such a formidable foe? Someone with might? Great speed? Stealth? A trained warrior? A powerful wizard? An armored knight?

Gandalf chose a Hobbit. There is nothing magical about a Hobbit. They are small, ordinary folk who often prefer the comfort of home to an unknown adventure.

So you can understand Galadriel's curiosity when the council gathers to discuss an even darker shadow rising within Middle Earth. She asks, "Why the Halfling?" Gandalf responds,

"Saruman believes that it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay, simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I am afraid and he gives me courage."

If you were to ask me why I am a children's minister, I think I would respond in similar fashion. Perhaps it is because I believe the meek will inherit the earth. I've seen giants fall to slings, kings succumb to shepherds, and strongholds crumble beneath the weight of a single cup of cold water. Why am I a children's minister? Perhaps it is because I am afraid and children give me courage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment